Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default property with "no" water

On 08/03/2014 10:22 AM, Pete C. wrote:

CRNG wrote:

I decided to do more digging, since my Dad and I had seen what looked
like 2 fairly new well caps. I read over the well reports, and they
reported between 1/2 and 3/4 gallon per minute flow rate for both of the
wells, which were each sunk over 200 feet deep within 40 feet or so from
the house. Well, that's not "no" water, but it doesn't compare
favorably to the average of 8 gallons per minute in the surrounding
area. The former owner spent nearly $20,000 drilling those 2 wells

I would call that a very precarious and uncertain water supply
situation. Slightly over a gallon/min for the two wells is very low.
If you had a guarantee that you could get that flow 24/7 and it would
*never* drop lower, you could install a 10k gal cistern and get by,
but I would not risk it myself. There are no guarantees like that.

There are 1,440 minutes in a day so you could expect between 1,440 and
2,160 gal available per use per day. ...

I don't think it is at all clear one _could_ expect that for the
indefinite future from the limited information provided, particularly
since apparently both are quite close to each other, one may well pump
down the other as well. OTOH, it's quite possible they are both capable
of pumping that for quite some period of time.

A lot depends on what the water source they're tapping into really is;
in some places it's renewable from surface water in short time frames,
in others as here it's a nonrenewable source (estimates are 0.1"/yr
recovery rates) so depending on where the water table is relative to the
well casing depth and pump set depth and how far down the water-bearing
formation goes, there may be quite a bit or only a small amount available.

Need a lot more history and other data than what is available so far to
have any idea whatever imo, but I'd definitely be leery going in.