Posted to alt.home.repair

Default #6 NM wire in 1/2" hole?

On Sun, 3 Aug 2014 01:15:32 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

wrote in :

On Sat, 2 Aug 2014 22:31:25 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

trader_4 wrote in news:721afe4d-95af-4321-a785-f2428f838f82
:

On Saturday, August 2, 2014 3:51:59 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sat, 2 Aug 2014 14:05:32 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:
wrote in news:e8not9po55dsmu3f1ap92udfqh327crtle@

4ax.com:
And remember - if the unit draws a constant 26 amps, it is over-spec
for a 30 amp circuit (maximum 80% rated current for continuous use)

The term "continuous" has a clear, specific definition in the Code -- and an air
conditioner
does not meet that definition.

You really should stop trying to give electrical advice.

OK - what does "continuous" mean?

It would seem if you're giving out the advice, you should know that
no? And if not, googling "code definition continous load" should work.

Not knowing what the Code says hasn't ever previously prevented him from giving
electrical advice; no reason to expect that to change now, is there?

If the AC runs for 3 hours and 1 minute without shutting down at 26
amps, a #10 cable is undersized for the application.

Still wrong. Go back and read the definition I quoted. I was going to say, "read it *again*" but
it doesn't appear that you've read it once.

That is according to your interpretation of the code.

"Interpretation"?? The language is pretty plain -- but you have to actually, you know, *read*
it first, before you know what it says.

Is it inconceiveable that this air conditioner could run for over 3
hours at a time???

It says, "... expected to continue for three hours or more".

And on a very hot day I could expect my air conditioner to run for
more than 3 hours at a time.