Posted to alt.home.repair

Default #6 NM wire in 1/2" hole?

On Sat, 2 Aug 2014 22:31:25 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

trader_4 wrote in news:721afe4d-95af-4321-a785-f2428f838f82
:

On Saturday, August 2, 2014 3:51:59 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sat, 2 Aug 2014 14:05:32 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:
wrote in :
And remember - if the unit draws a constant 26 amps, it is over-spec
for a 30 amp circuit (maximum 80% rated current for continuous use)

The term "continuous" has a clear, specific definition in the Code -- and an air

conditioner
does not meet that definition.

You really should stop trying to give electrical advice.

OK - what does "continuous" mean?

It would seem if you're giving out the advice, you should know that
no? And if not, googling "code definition continous load" should work.

Not knowing what the Code says hasn't ever previously prevented him from giving
electrical advice; no reason to expect that to change now, is there?

If the AC runs for 3 hours and 1 minute without shutting down at 26
amps, a #10 cable is undersized for the application.
That is according to your interpretation of the code.
Is it inconceiveable that this air conditioner could run for over 3
hours at a time???

If this AC can run for more than 3 hours without shutting down,and it
draws 26 amps, it requires #8 cable. If the rating label states it
requires a #6 cable, it requires a #6 cable to meet code.
I don't pretend to know WHY the manufacturer specified a #6 cable,
when according to code a #8 would be adequate. My only GUESS is it had
something to do with the specification that the unit was to be
connected with stranded cable (I believe that was part of the original
post) - in which case the premises wiring could be #8 and the flex
cable be #6.. The specification was 3 conductor # 6 flexible cable,
and the OP misread that to be NMD or NMW6-3 + ground from the service
panel to the unit.

That's MY take on it.