Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] shellyf_DELETE_@hotmail.com is offline

Default OT - knee replacement surgery

On Sat, 02 Aug 2014 05:49:58 -0400, micky
wrote:

On Fri, 01 Aug 2014 20:27:45 -0400, wrote:

I had it done a couple of years ago. Best decision that I ever made.
Knee is in perfect shape, if I have to kneel a lot, I use a small
pillow under the knee - no big deal, entirely comfortable.

I have no personal experience with joint transplants.

But what about those knee pads that attach to the leg with a wide
elastic band around the whole leg. Contractors use them when they have
to be on their knees all day.

I use them for working around the yard on gravel. Aside from slipping
down periodically, they work - but, for intermittent use on both
gravel and the garage floor I find a small pillow fo be more effective
and easy to maneuver.
See the paragraph above that starts with "I had it done" - my thoughts
exactly.

Do football players use them?

I've used them, I forget why

**I did have shoulder surgery 35 years ago, for a frequently dislocating
shoulder.. About December 15, lots of snow in NY, didn't take my
girlfriend anywhere for New years Eve, because I'm a pansy. In the
waiting room, waiting for a follow-up check-up, as is the guy sitting
across from me. Now he's a man. Had the surgery a week later than I,
Dec 22, and still took his girlfriend out on NYE. Slipped on the snow,
wrenched his arm, he's there to see what he did to himself. After his
apointment, I ask him. He says the doctor said they wouldn't know until
it healed and he saw if it was actually better. So months more of doubt
and maybe all that money and time wasted. Some times it's better to
be a pansy.

As a result of the surgery, my knee cap is thin. The surgeon told me
to insure that during rehab they do not press hard on the knee cap,
told the rehab folks, no problem.
I was walking within 24 hours of the surgery with assistance, climbing
steps up and down 3 days later. Down is harder than up. Lead with the
new knee.
Good luck, hth