Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default #6 NM wire in 1/2" hole?

On Saturday, August 2, 2014 6:28:45 PM UTC-4, Doug Miller wrote:
wrote in :

On Sat, 2 Aug 2014 14:05:32 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller

wrote:

wrote in :

And remember - if the unit draws a constant 26 amps, it is over-spec

for a 30 amp circuit (maximum 80% rated current for continuous use)

The term "continuous" has a clear, specific definition in the Code -- and an air conditioner

does not meet that definition.

You really should stop trying to give electrical advice.

OK - what does "continuous" mean?

"Continuous load: a load where the maximum current is expected to continue for three hours

or more." [NEC, Article 100]

What minimum duty cycle is

required for it to be "continuous"?

See above.

How long does the air conditioner

run on the hottest day of the year?

Immaterial. The only relevant question is, does it pull maximum current for three hours or

more?

Is the running current not

"continuous" in this case?

It does not appear to meet the NEC's definition of a continuous load -- a definition you're

clearly ignorant of.

Starting amps don't count. Do you KNOW what

the steady state running current of the AC unit in question is??

From the data posted by the OP, apparently it's 26 amps.

Agree with you except for the above. The "min circuit ampacity" is 26.
The rated load amps is 19. It also says the rated input power is 4600W.
Clearly it's running closer to 19 amps, not 26. The exact current is
going to vary based on the exact conditions present at the time. But all
that is taken into account when they spec'd the min circuit amps at 26.
The unit is only 41K btu, ie 3.7 tons. It's impossible for a unit to
need #6, if it drew that much power and only produced 3.7 tons, it would
never meet the min govt SEER standards.

It's obvious whoever wrote that manual made several mistakes. If it were
me, I'd use #8 and a 50A breaker, which is consistent with the unit label
and be done with it. I suggested previously that if this needs to be
permitted, the OP could take the relevant info to the inspector and ask.
I for sure would do one of the above before I installed it with #6, using a
*4 conductor *cord*, because the lame manual says so.