Posted to alt.home.repair
TomR[_3_] TomR[_3_] is offline

Default Trimming wood vs. metal exterior doors

In ,
Moe DeLoughan typed:
On 7/30/2014 2:20 PM, TomR wrote:
I need to replace an exterior front door -- just the door slab, and
not the frame. The actual size of the existing door itself (not the
opening, which is a little larger) is 31 5/8 inches X 78 3/4 inches
X 1 3/4 inches. I assume that I will need to buy a 32x80 exterior door
and trim it a
little to fit.

My question is, does that mean that I have no real choice other than
to buy a wood door because only a wood door can be trimmed?

Or, is there a way to trim exterior metal doors to fit the opening?

Do you have a Menards in your area? They sell custom-built doors.
http://www.menards.com/main/mastercr...rDesigner.html

I am in New Jersey and no Menard's anywhere near me. But, I checked out
their website above and it is amazing! It is WAY better than Home Depot or
Lowes for finding and ordering a door.