Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default OT - knee replacement surgery

On Sat, 2 Aug 2014 05:03:37 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

On Saturday, August 2, 2014 5:36:03 AM UTC-4, micky wrote:
On Fri, 1 Aug 2014 04:29:39 -0700 (PDT), bob haller

wrote:

knee replacement surgery is BAD NEWS, for the morbidly obese. My surgeon said it invaribly fails, so when anyone 80 or 100 pounds or more comes in for a knee or hip replacement he refers them for weight loss surgery. Sadly only about 1% of the morbid obese are able to lose most of the weight and keep it off 5 years

99% fail

About 20 years ago, when I was just starting to get fat, because I like

to plan years and decades ahead, I called the office of a doctor who

did weight loss surgery and his receptionist told me it was only for

peoplle who were morbidly obese.

So now that I'm that fat, need to lose 100 pounds, (or 120 to get back

to my weight as a senior in high school) I called again and they told

me, Surgery can only suck out 10 or 15 pounds. I was prepared to

spend 10,000 of my own money, but I thought they'd get rid of my entire

pot belly (and that they would cut off the extra skin). which I think is

3 1/2 thick x 12" wide by almost 12" high, and iiuc almost pure fat.

That has to be about 50 pounds, right, half of all my owervweightednes.

But I can't do that three times, for 30,000. (The price is about 2

years old, in Baltimore. Probably higher some places and lower others.)

Sounds like not weight loss surgery, because they dont suck out fat!

You're right. Thanks. I meant liposuction, both times. 20 years ago
they said I was too thin to have it (had to be morbidly obese) , and 2
years ago they said I was too fat to have it, and they'd only take off
15 pounds (but they also wanted me to lose that weight first so all they
had to do was tighten the skin.

I suppose this is because they had some bad results, maybe deaths, with
sucking out too much fat, but like sugar and transfat and all the other
things they warn us about, I figured I'd be fine, and I wanted an easy
fix.

they permanetely make your stomach smaller My weight loss surgery was in july 2001. I weighed 313 pounds, bottomed underweight at around 175, today I weigh about 223, 23 pounds ver the docs goal weight. BEST DECISION OF MY ENTIRE LIFE!!!

That's great. Good for you.

My good buddy proudly announced at the time of my surgery he would lose it naturally. He went from 325 toaround 475 aqnd is very ill from weight related troubles...

I guess I see the lesson there.