Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Pressure tank without shutoff valve

On Saturday, August 2, 2014 4:03:07 PM UTC-4, Frank wrote:
On 8/2/2014 3:43 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

On 8/2/2014 3:26 PM, trader_4 wrote:

On Saturday, August 2, 2014 3:19:42 PM UTC-4,

Michael Wilson wrote:

The plumber said the diaphragm is broken in the

tank we have. The pressure switch constantly flips

on when water is run in the house. He wants $900.00

to replace it with an Amtrol WX203 32 Gal tank. I'm

putting in a Flotec 35 Gallon instead.

If the tank is otherwise OK, I believe on some, if

not all of them, you

can replace the diaphram/bladder.

I'd first try to reinflate, and see if the bladder is

still there. Might be just a couple minutes with air

compressor could get by for the next year or more.

I think originally that there was no bladder in pressure tanks and they

just relied on the air space. They added bladders later since the air

will eventually dissolve in the water requiring air to be added frequently.

Before bladders they had a system that regulated the air to the correct
level by allowing the pump to suck some air in during a pump cycle, if
the level of air in the tank was too low. Without that, in a period of
months, the tank would water log, as you point out.