Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Pressure tank without shutoff valve

On Saturday, August 2, 2014 3:41:48 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 8/2/2014 3:24 PM, trader_4 wrote:

If you mean you've never seen a shut off valve between the well and the

tank, I agree. There normally isn't one and there is no need for one.

There typically is a drain valve on the tank and a valve between the tank

and the house water system or whatever it's supplying.

All he has to do is shut off the pump and drain the tank.

Years ago, some friends had a well pump in the cellar,

with expansion tank. Every now and again, he had to

turn off the house water, and let the tank drain. Would

made more sense to me to put a tire valve on top of the

tank, and pump more air in. There was already a gadget

with a diaphragm (not in the tank) and hose that was

supposed to "regulate the air" which I think means put

in a tiny spot of air every time the pump cycled on and

off.

That's how the old system worked. If the tank needed more air, it
would put some in by using the pump to suck air during a regular
pumping cycle. And as you say, sometimes they went kaput and then
the tank would become water logged. That system only works if the
pump is by the tank.

I think the bladder tanks like the OP has, are designed

to NOT lose the air charge, and "never needs refilling".

Correct, until something goes wrong with them too. I think you
can replace the bladder on at least some of them. I raised that
as an easier, cheaper possibility.