Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_17_] Frank[_17_] is offline

Default Pressure tank without shutoff valve

On 8/2/2014 3:41 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 8/2/2014 3:24 PM, trader_4 wrote:
If you mean you've never seen a shut off valve between the well and the
tank, I agree. There normally isn't one and there is no need for one.
There typically is a drain valve on the tank and a valve between the tank
and the house water system or whatever it's supplying.

All he has to do is shut off the pump and drain the tank.

Years ago, some friends had a well pump in the cellar,
with expansion tank. Every now and again, he had to
turn off the house water, and let the tank drain. Would
made more sense to me to put a tire valve on top of the
tank, and pump more air in. There was already a gadget
with a diaphragm (not in the tank) and hose that was
supposed to "regulate the air" which I think means put
in a tiny spot of air every time the pump cycled on and
off.

I think the bladder tanks like the OP has, are designed
to NOT lose the air charge, and "never needs refilling".

I haven't messed with mine but plumber suggested turning off water to
tank, letting water bleed off into house and pressurizing to maybe 25
psi. Think if I noted what appeared to be too rapid cycling, I'd check
the pressure.

I have a ball shut off valve beyond the tank and with my whole house
filter, there are more ball valves to isolate and bypass the filter
making change easy.