Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Pressure tank without shutoff valve

On 08/02/2014 1:21 PM, Harry K wrote:
On Saturday, August 2, 2014 10:56:52 AM UTC-7, Michael Wilson wrote:
First call, longtime listener.

I'm changing out the water pressure tank, but I don't have a shut
off valve from tank to well to drain the tank. If I turn off the breaker to

the well pump, will this effectively shut off the water so I can drain
the tank and replace it? Help much appreciated.

That's the routine way you would do it, anyway. You don't want the pump
kicking on when you empty the tank and lose pressure that it will if
leave on unless block the pressure switch which is klunky way to go at it.

Just turn the pump supply breaker off.

Yes, and while you are chaning it out, you should install that
missing shut-off valve.

Not really -- you _never_ want a deadhead of the well pump that's
possible if somebody inadvertently closes that valve.

While there is one here, it's never been closed (and is wired so can't
be closed w/o specific effort to remove the wire) since installed in
'64. The pressure tank has been replaced several times in that time span.