Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Best screw head that won't strip

On Fri, 01 Aug 2014 23:12:41 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 8/1/2014 10:33 PM, wrote:

On 2014-08-01, -MIKE- wrote:
On 8/1/14, 3:45 PM, whit3rd wrote:
But when you want to REMOVE a screw, you don't
want to apply a push (this hurts you because it increases friction).

I don't get this. Why not push when removing?

Because the objective is to _raise_ the screw. Pushing down on it
makes that harder to do and thus requires more torque to raise it. To
get more torque without cam-out you have to push harder, which then
requires more torque to raise the screw, which requires you to push
harder...

Theory aside, when the head is buggered, pushing gets it out, not
pushing makes the bit slip. One law of physics out does the other.

That doesn't mean pushing down is making it easier (than it would be
were a different head chosen up-front).

In a perfect world. . .

We were talking about screw selection. In my world, I choose what
screws I use. If I didn't build the deck, chances are it's a total
loss because the fasteners aren't coming out.

If you are removing screws above you, you can defy gravity and push "up"
to get the screws out.

Please.