Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default #6 NM wire in 1/2" hole?

On Saturday, August 2, 2014 12:40:28 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Fri, 01 Aug 2014 23:34:13 -0400, wrote:

On Fri, 01 Aug 2014 00:32:34 -0400,
wrote:

On Thu, 31 Jul 2014 20:25:57 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

SMZ42H46ZOGX

When I look this up I do see where the manual says you need 6 ga wire

but it also says "Minimum circuit ampacity 26a" which would be 10

gauge copper according to the NEC. It really sounds like the chinese

book writer does not understand the electrical code.

Does the label on the outside unit say "26a" on the minimum circuit

ampacity line?

Maximum over current protection probably says "50a"

26 amps is more than 80% of 30 amps. Generally a circuit should not

excede 80% of the circuit protection rating (fuse or breaker - and I

assume wiring).

That is not what the label says or what it means.

If you look at the U/L marking guide, you will see the 80% is built

into that "minimum circuit ampacity"

+1

This is a specific piece of eqpt on a dedicated circuit. It's not
a circuit for receptacles. The rules are different. Just like a
an AC, when you can, because the rules are different.

I bet the design FLA is more like 19-20a and the actual max you would

ever read with an amp probe is more like 15-16 in normal operation

They say strange numbers like "26a" to keep you out of 12ga which is

rated for 25a in the 60 and 75c column.

The marking guide and the label itself is clearly saying 10 ga copper.

Also, if I remember and read correctly, the

specification is for a "stranded" wire - which "generally" should be

sized up 1 size.

Cite that.

Table 310-16 does not make that distinction

Yes, I'd like to see that too. AFAIK, solid and stranded of
the same gauge have the same current carrying capacity, unless
this AC is connected to a 1Mhz power source, or similar where
skin effect comes into play.