Posted to alt.home.repair

Default #6 NM wire in 1/2" hole?

On Fri, 01 Aug 2014 00:32:34 -0400, wrote:

On Thu, 31 Jul 2014 20:25:57 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

SMZ42H46ZOGX

When I look this up I do see where the manual says you need 6 ga wire
but it also says "Minimum circuit ampacity 26a" which would be 10
gauge copper according to the NEC. It really sounds like the chinese
book writer does not understand the electrical code.

Does the label on the outside unit say "26a" on the minimum circuit
ampacity line?
Maximum over current protection probably says "50a"

26 amps is more than 80% of 30 amps. Generally a circuit should not
excede 80% of the circuit protection rating (fuse or breaker - and I
assume wiring). Also, if I remember and read correctly, the
specification is for a "stranded" wire - which "generally" should be
sized up 1 size. So up one from 10 because it is over 80% circuit
capacity, and up one for stranded would be a #6 stranded cordWhich
would explain the recommendadation - and would allow a #8 solid
conductor.
Still. not hurting anything but the pocketbook using #6, and using
3+ground instead of 2+ground is costing a lot more than the guage
upgrade. Remember - it was talking about a "3 conductor stranded cord"
- which is black/white/green. Using solid cable that is 2+ground -
black, white, and bare.