Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default hd roof top installation

On Thursday, July 31, 2014 4:51:01 PM UTC-4, bob haller wrote:
On Thursday, July 31, 2014 12:37:18 PM UTC-4, Tony Hwang wrote:

badgolferman wrote:

terrable wrote:

"badgolferman" wrote in message

I'm considering ditching cable TV and going streaming and

broadcast. I assume I can run the antenna feed to the same place

where the cable connects into the attic. This will be good enough

for all the outlets throughout the house, correct? My current

cable connection requires a powered amplifier though.

My biggest hesitation deals with the fact that I have some big maple

trees in my back yard that I believe would be in the direct path of

the direction I must aim the antenna. Is there a way to determine

if this is a problem before going through the entire installation

process?

Get a TV and an antenna, hook them up and see what your reception is

like.

It would help to know how many broadcast towers are in your area.

http://www.antennapoint.com/

There are nine towers in my area. Their distances average 23 miles

away with the directions all similar -- 195-202 degrees.

Hi,

That is not even great distance. Also same with difference in degrees in

direction. If attic is easy to access try attic space for mid size

antenna first. If you want to install amp. install it at the antenna

boom(or top of the mast).

inside a attic comes with some issues. poor performance rainey days, even worse if snow accumulates on roof, any sort of metal roof makes antenna a failure...

Putting an antenna on the roof also comes with some issues. At
only 23 miles from the Xmitter, I'd sure try the attic first. It's easy
to just prop one up there.

and in all cases it wouldnt be as good as outdoors, and the higher elevation outdoors will likely help get better signal