nestork nestork is offline
Senior Member

Default OT - knee replacement surgery

I am scheduled to have my left knee replaced in December of 2014. I have been told two things:

A.) That I will be able to kneel on the artificial knee after the surgery, but it will feel awful to do so.

B.) That even though it feels awful to kneel on an artificial knee, it won't do any harm to the knee or my legs.

I find that I have to do a fair bit of kneeling looking after my apartment block and am concerned I may not be able to look after it if I can't kneel down.

I'm interested in hearing from people in here that have had knee replacement surgery who can tell me how bad the problem of kneeling will be. I am especially interested in hearing from people who've had their knees replaced or know people who have well enough to know if they can kneel, and how much discomfort there is associated with kneeling.

This is like a Y2K question. I've never had a knee replaced, and so I don't know how bad the kneeling problem will be. And ignorance is fertile ground for the imagination to run wild. I don't know if it will just feel a little bit uncomfortable or if it will be excruciatingly painful or where on that scale kneeling will fall. Hearing what people who've had this surgery done will help me know what I'm up against.

PS: Here in Winnipeg, the Concordia Hospital Hip and Knee Institute is a veritable hip and knee replacement factory. I've heard that they replace about 1600 knees a year there, and an approximately equal number of hips. Assuming 250 working days per year, that's about 6 knees and 6 hips every single working day of the year. It's no wonder that they get the patients up and walking within a day or two of the surgery; they have to get those people out to make room for the new people coming in! But, truth be told, I am glad I am living in a time when replacing knees and hips is medically feasible. When I was born, it wasn't. If you had bad arthritis in your knees or hips, you walked with a cane or a walker and that's just how things were. Now, they can replace worn out knees and hips with artificial ones that allow people to walk normally, run, ride a bicycle, climb a ladder and even dance. But, they just can't kneel comfortably.

Last edited by nestork : August 1st 14 at 12:09 AM