Posted to rec.woodworking
Grant Edwards Grant Edwards is offline

Default Breathable Noise Filter

On 2014-07-31, whit3rd wrote:
On Tuesday, July 29, 2014 6:58:06 PM UTC-7, Morgans wrote:

I'm building a box to hold a small compress[or]

other ideas such as baffles will also not allow enough fresh air in
to keep things cool. Look up how many BTU's are produced per
amp/volt of electricity, then multiply that by how many amps your
compressor is.

In theory you'll have to take the power factor into account, since you
want to know real Watts (vs. the imaginary component that's included
in the Volt Amps value).

Nearly all of that electrical energy is turned into heat.

That's too optimistic: MORE heat is liberated than the electric
power, because compression changes the heat capacity of the air. and
the air temperature rises. When you release the gas, it gets cooler
than ambient (this is a kind of open-end refrigeration cycle).

Yup. Assuming the air expands outside the enclosure, in addition to
dissapating the electrical power, you're also pumping heat from
outside the enclosure to inside the enclosure.

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! We just joined the
at civil hair patrol!