Fred Holder

Default Thinking about buying a lathe

Hello Bob,

Almost any lathe will do an acceptable job of spindle turning if it has enough
swing and enough length and enough power. The Oneway Lathes are excellent and
youpay for that excellence. For what you want to do, a Nova 3000 or a Nova DVR
3000 with enough bed extensions to handle your spindle length needs would be an
excellent choice. Either of them would also handle you bowl turning needs if you
become hooked on bowl turning. I had a Nova 3000 for several years and now have
a Nova DVR 3000 with an added on bed extension. Gives me a 16" swing over the
bed and 44" between centers with about a two horsepower motor to power
everything.

Welcome to the world of woodturning.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com/

In article , Bob M says...

Hello,

I own a legacy Oramental Mill. Most of my turning is done on this device
with a router. The time has come that I need a lathe along with the mill.
Most of my turning will be for spindles. I would very much like to use the
lathe to learn bowl turning. A friend suggested I get the Oneway 1640. It
seems to me that Lathe is way overpriced. Is the OneWay worth the money?
Any opinions on Powermatic lathes? Any suggestions on other lathes that I
might be happy with would sure be appreciated. My budget is $3000 or less
although $2000 would be ideal.

I noticed these lathes weight between 600 and 1000 pounds. Can they be
taken apart to get them into a basement shop?

Thanks

Bob M