Lewis Dodd

Default Thinking about buying a lathe

I have a Oneway 2436 with a 2 hp. Love that rascal.
Check Bernie Mares "Serious Lathe" and the Vicmarks. Both are quality
machines, just not up to the Oneways, course, a lot cheaper too.

Regards,
Lewis

--
Not one shred of evidence exists that life is serious.
Richard Feynman

"Bob M" wrote in message
t...
Hello,

I own a legacy Oramental Mill. Most of my turning is done on this

device
with a router. The time has come that I need a lathe along with the mill.
Most of my turning will be for spindles. I would very much like to use the
lathe to learn bowl turning. A friend suggested I get the Oneway 1640. It
seems to me that Lathe is way overpriced. Is the OneWay worth the money?
Any opinions on Powermatic lathes? Any suggestions on other lathes that I
might be happy with would sure be appreciated. My budget is $3000 or less
although $2000 would be ideal.

I noticed these lathes weight between 600 and 1000 pounds. Can they be
taken apart to get them into a basement shop?

Thanks

Bob M