Posted to rec.woodworking
G. Ross G. Ross is offline

Default Best screw head that won't strip

Michael wrote:
I can't decide which is better, the square or the star? Which is less likely to strip?

Thanks.

One thing I found out. It is easy to get paint out of a slotted screw
to remove the screw. Next easiest is a square drive. I just had to
replace the surface boards on some outside steps. They were fixed
with square drive screws. The holes were full of paint, grit and
crud. I dug most of it out with a slim awl then inserted a spare
square drive bit and tapped it with a small hammer. Then the bit on
the impact driver slipped right in and backed them out. Not sure I
could have done this with a star drive screw, but maybe so.

For general use I vote for the star.

--
 GW Ross

 It is the journey that matters, in