Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Trimming wood vs. metal exterior doors

On 07/31/2014 7:44 AM, dpb wrote:

Nominal 32x80 wood doors are available significantly cheaper than that
will likely outlast OP...I've several converted interior fir doors on
the garages and shops here on the farm that have lasted 50+ years and
they weren't even intended for exterior use...

http://www.lowes.com/...[snip]

Actually, if OP is in reasonable-sized market, there are probably lots
of options available -- Knoxville had Southern Rail Salvage, a veritable
plethora of unclaimed freight, overstocks, etc., etc., etc., as well as
a whole floor of their warehouse dedicated to doors and windows both new
stock as well as many that were, indeed, reclaimed. There was
everything from pure junk that should've been taken to the dump to
vintage Federal-era house doors of exquisite glass and work that had
been removed from remodels or tear-downs and everything in between.

The desktop here in the farm office is one I built from a solid slab
36x84 I picked up for $10 simply because it was too good at the time to
let go. I've another table made from a pair of commercial office slab
doors that were 42x96 walnut that had been scrapped before ever
installed because there was a gouge in one face of one. Since they were
book-matched grain pattern, the architect demanded both be replaced
instead of only the one. I gave $75 for the pair...

Anyway, worth a look around OP's location for what nontraditional
alternatives there are. I hear Habitat has retail stores in places now;
I've not been anywhere where there was one so no experience on that
front, specifically...