Posted to uk.d-i-y
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default To kill a buddleia

On 30/07/2014 23:40, bert wrote:
In message , Mike Barnes
writes
How to kill a buddleia?

It's growing in the 8" gap between the greenhouse and the boundary
fence (sheep netting). It's distorted the greenhouse frame, breaking
one of the panes. I've hacked back the buddleia and replaced the pane.

Knowing that buddleias like a good prune I'm assuming it's likely to
carry on growing and cause more damage, so I'd like to kill it. First
thoughts are chemical, but I don't know what to use and how to apply it.

Ideas?

Prune it right back in November and hope we have a hard winter.

Hard pruning will just encourage it! Local garden centre does this to
theirs every year so that the bulbs under it get a fair showing.

They are presently taller than I am and in full flower.

Chemical warfare is the only way. Look at the railway embankments!

Regards,
Martin Brown