Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Trimming wood vs. metal exterior doors

On 07/30/2014 2:20 PM, TomR wrote:
I need to replace an exterior front door -- just the door slab, and not the
frame. The actual size of the existing door itself (not the opening, which
is a little larger) is 31 5/8 inches X 78 3/4 inches X 1 3/4 inches.

I assume that I will need to buy a 32x80 exterior door and trim it a little
to fit.

My question is, does that mean that I have no real choice other than to buy
a wood door because only a wood door can be trimmed?

Or, is there a way to trim exterior metal doors to fit the opening?

It is possible, but hardly worth the effort. Generally you can get a
to-size for about $50 or so added and not having to retrofit the
blocking, etc., is well worth it in my book.

Fiberglass same deal if don't want solid wood.

But, I'd look first at as DadiOH says whether wouldn't be basically as
simple and likely cheaper to get a standard prehung unit and just
replace...means removing trim to ascertain what is the roughin opening
and why it's not full-size.