Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Minchin[_4_] Bob Minchin[_4_] is offline

Default To kill a buddleia

Mike Barnes wrote:
How to kill a buddleia?

It's growing in the 8" gap between the greenhouse and the boundary fence
(sheep netting). It's distorted the greenhouse frame, breaking one of
the panes. I've hacked back the buddleia and replaced the pane.

Knowing that buddleias like a good prune I'm assuming it's likely to
carry on growing and cause more damage, so I'd like to kill it. First
thoughts are chemical, but I don't know what to use and how to apply it.

Ideas?

Once you have got some leaves back on it, try glyphosate or my favourite
which works on stubborn things including Ivy is a mix of the above and
ammonium sulphamate. The latter used to be sold under the name root out
but can be bought on ebay as a compost accelerator. It is now outlawed
for use as a weed killer but often the suppliers helpfully leave the
full instruction in the pack for both applications.