Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Breathable Noise Filter

On 7/30/2014 5:37 AM, wrote:
I live in an apartment and do have a balcony, but relocating the
compressor out there is not really a viable option.

The compressor is a Senco PC1010 which is pretty small, so I may be
able to get away with rubber baffles and reasonably quiet fans to
input and output air flow. Hmmm, guess I have some things to consider.

Pretty much barking up a tree, Dave. All the well meaning ideas I've
seen thus far are unlikely to attenuate the sound of an air compressor,
running in an apartment, to any extent to give you satisfaction.

Based on experience as a recording engineer, studio owner and builder:

Reality of the situation, and the short explanation, is that in order to
attenuate the amplitude of sound waves through absorption (baffles,
gobi's, curtains, etc) the absorbing medium/material must be roughly
equal in thickness the offending frequency's wave lengths.

An example, at sea level and 68F, the wave length of 1130 Hz is approx 1'.

So, while relatively easy for higher frequencies, it is much less easily
obtainable for mid and low frequencies, all components of the
multi-frequency sound generated by an air compressor.

Best satisfaction will come, without spending a fortune and taking up a
good deal of living space, is to put it in another room, or closet in
another room, where the closet is not adjacent to where you want the
quieter operation, basically getting as many walls and doors between the
source and the desired quieter area.

That's takes care of you, but not necessarily the adjacent tenants.

There are other methods besides absorption, to attenuate sound, but they
would be prohibitive in cost for your application.

Short story, is that some of the ideas may work to an extent, but I
doubt seriously that they will provide the solution you are looking for.

--
eWoodShop:
www.eWoodShop.com