Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default SMPS repair tip

On 29/07/2014 00:40, Maynard A. Philbrook Jr. wrote:
In article ,
says...
couldn't count all the times I ordered low value resistors and put on the page "NON INDUCTIVE". but rewally, just HOW non-inductive do I want it ?

There's a price to pay for film type R's that are low inductive,
they usually can't handle a very short high peak pulse. POP!

Carbon composite is just about the best in both worlds, they handle
transients and are not very inductive. We use these types for a
HV divider string from 2Mev down to a few uA for a reading. The signal
is at 100Khz so can't have induction there and also can't have the
R's popping when we get a now and then snap of voltage that causes a
short transient.

Jamie

Just for short duration testing purposes I suppose, or back to the bad
old days of barbecue charcoal laying in wait, in sustained overload
situations