AMAZING! I never knew that breaking such a small, simple law could kill

you!

Well... not until I was 11, and at 13 built my first phonograph amplifier

from scratch-parts (my _own_ design). General-Class ham operator by 16,

and if you recall those days, you actually had to know some electronics

to pass the written!

G

Lloyd

What a blow hard Loud is. I got my General class Amateur radio license when I was a teenager as well. You say you would like proof of this? No problem.. Unlike a liar and a bull****er like Loud, I always back up what I have to say with proof:

http://hamcall.net/call/WA1ZVS%3A1983

There was indeed a written test that was administered by the FCC. Why, Loud can't remember that is beyond me. Let me guess, Loud can't remember his call sign either. There was also a Morse code requirement. I took my General class license test at the FCC Boston office.

The major problem with Amateur radio was that other than doing work for Mars:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Militar...y_Radio_System

contesting, DXing and collecting foreign QSL cards, I found it to be boring as hell. It was mostly old, wheezy, buzzards talking about the weather. I probably would have enjoyed myself more if I had a lot of money or my parents were rich and they owned a big piece of land so I could have put up the antenna farm I wanted. My first rig was a Griefkit HW 101 that I built. I then sold that and got a Kenwood TS-520. Finally, I purchased a used Signal/One CX7B which was a major improvement over the other two transceivers I mentioned. I would have loved to have had an Alpha amp but didn't have the money.

None of this made me an expert in electronics. At best it gave me a very basic understanding of electronics. I passed both my Novice and my General license tests the first time. I skipped Technician class. I never did get my Advanced or Amateur Extra class license because I had become bored out of my ****ing mind within two years of being involved. I also found contest groups back them to be made up of clique idiots. I hated cliques back then as much as I hate them now.