Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Log Home Restoration

Sonny wrote:
On Tuesday, July 29, 2014 8:25:35 AM UTC-5, Mike Marlow wrote:
G. Ross wrote:

What do they use for chinking log homes?

It's a synthetic compound

I'm ignorant of log homes, for the most part.... their construction,
repair, etc. Chinking and rot repair are obvious, but I don't have a
clue as to what cob blasting is.

*Almost all I know, about logs, is to mill them into lumber.

It's probably exactly what you thought it might be - ground up dried corn
cob. The stuff is ground to the consistency of sand - or maybe a little
larger. It's then blasted on using a sandblaster at very high cfm ratings
(the one my crew used was something like 240 CFM) and pressures somewhere
around 180 psi. It has all of the abrasiveness that it needs to do the
work, has the added advantage that it is biodegradable so what may end up
laying around in the yard is no probelm, and is probably the oldest of the
blasting technologies for a log home. More and more crews are going to
ground glass blasting which is 20% cheaper and faster, but has its own
drawbacks - primarily that it's not degradable at all. Cob blasting has the
added advantage that it will not harm glass so there is no requirement to
mask off windows. It does have to be blown out good afterwards so that you
don't end up with cob in cracks, etc. that could result in mold down the
road, but that's a pretty simply and quick step in the whole process.

--

-Mike-