Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Any easy way to delaminate a big transformer

rangerssuck fired this volley in
:

pon a time, I had a boss who insisted that if you put 1 million 1.5V
cells in series and measured the voltage across (actually, he
pronounced it 'acrosst'

Actually... That might work for a while with ZERO load. They made some
monstrous 'piles' in the 1800s to experiment with high voltages (not that
high, I'm sure).

You most certainly would get something other than 1.5V (if that's what
you meant to write).

But, if the voltmeter imposed almost any load, the mismatches in internal
resistance of the cells would quickly ensure that you got something
"other than 1.5 million volts acrosst 'em", as cells began to short out
under their mis-matched imposed voltage.

That's why we use resistor ladders cap-to-cap across series capacitors in
a high-voltage circuit. They're not just for the 'bleed' function. We
even called them "equalizer resistors".

(sorry, I just had to say "acrosst"! G)

LLoyd