Posted to rec.woodworking
G. Ross G. Ross is offline

Default Log Home Restoration

Mike Marlow wrote:
G. Ross wrote:

What do they use for chinking log homes?

It's a synthetic compound that has excellent adheasion properties as well as
elasticity so that it is not affected by the normal movement of the logs
through weather changes. The chink that we are using is a Sashco product.
It is applied by a gun resembling a large caulk gun, and then tooled in
using wet foam brushes in a manner much like pointing up mortar joints in a
block wall. Properly applied, today's chinking compounds are supposed to
last 40-50 years. Of course the products in use today have not been around
for 40-50 years, so there is no real world evidence of these claims.

Sounds like a great improvement. The one my dad was born in probably
used clay and Spanish moss.

--
 GW Ross

 It is the journey that matters, in