Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Paging a real plumber

In article ,
Onetap wrote:
Both the photos show joints that IMHO had been badly soldered, one
does not appear to be fully tinned.

As I said, maybe possible, but unlikely. It may be more likely with
thick-walled soft annealed tube, rather than the half-hard Table X
type we're familiar with.

It's quite possible the one here that pulled apart was the older thick
walled copper, which was the norm in the UK once. That could be bent
easily using a spring, without annealing first. Dunno what it was at my
brother's house - but it was also built long before modern tube came on
the scene.

I bought this house in the '70s, and the plumbing to the outside loo was
done before I bought it - but not original which would have been lead. I'd
guess it was done when the high level cistern was replaced with a new
plastic one. The actual bowl is original Victorian. When I re-did the loo
I found a genuine Thomas T cistern at a salvage yard and fitted that. ;-)

I was taking issue with the likes of harry and NP who just because they
have never come across it said it was impossible. Therefore I was lying.

--
*Keep honking...I'm reloading.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.