Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ideal electrical systems (just idle curiosity)

On 28/07/14 22:25, Andy Wade wrote:
On 28/07/2014 10:09, Tim Watts wrote:

I would say we might as well have 400V as 230V and more or less halve
the conductor sizes. Much more than that is getting silly though.

I'd vote for the standard domestic supply being 3x32 A (3-ph) instead of
1x100 A. Then we'd have the advantages of 3-phase for motors and
rectification, and could have 400 V appliances like cookers and showers
hooked-up with 2.5 or 4 mm^2 cables. Proposals now required for a
compact 5-pin 16 A plug & socket...

I agree...

If you look at a commando plug/socket, the pins are well built but not
that much heavier than a 15A round pin plug.

So I do not see why you could not make a 3 phase version of a 15A plug
that fitted in at least a double backbox.