Posted to uk.d-i-y
Onetap Onetap is offline

Default Paging a real plumber

On Tuesday, July 29, 2014 12:42:58 AM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,

It seems peculiarly nasty, seeing as I was the only person who voiced

the opinion that your dismantled joint story might be true.

Ah. So you do think I might have been making it up. Say no more.

I thought/think it is unlikely. I have not examined every pipe that has ever frozen.

I did a search on Google Images for "frozen pipe burst".

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=fr...1600&bih=7 75

Of the frozen burst pipes shown, I'd say 99% show the classic bulge and axial split.

Howevee there was an American site which showed two joints that had separated as you described.

http://inspectapedia.com/plumbing/Pi...e_Patterns.php

Both the photos show joints that IMHO had been badly soldered, one does not appear to be fully tinned.

As I said, maybe possible, but unlikely. It may be more likely with thick-walled soft annealed tube, rather than the half-hard Table X type we're familiar with.

I've no idea what type of pipe the Americans use and can't be arsed to look it up.

FYI, I have not claimed, on here, to be an expert, I am merely posting

stuff that I happen to know about.

As can be seen from the content of my posts, that includes a ****load

of stuff about pipes and fittings.

I repeat, I have seen many frozen pipes, I have never seen any joint

separate as you describe. I think it unlikely.

Strange that my brother has had exactly the same.

So it would seem there are several 'experts' on here who are anything

but.

There are several people on here who quote fantasy friends and brothers

to support their opinions.

The simple fact is, I've never seen a frozen pipe fail in that manner.

I've never claimed to have seen everything. But when I have seen something

I usually reckon it's unlikely to be unique.

--

*Arkansas State Motto: Don't Ask, Don't Tell, Don't Laugh.

Dave Plowman London SW

To e-mail, change noise into sound.