Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill[_18_] Bill[_18_] is offline

Default DC extension cable

In message , Huge
writes
On 2014-07-28, Bill wrote:

2 questions: These connectors are said to be reversible. I can't get my
head round whether there could be any problem if they were lent out. If
the extension cable were connected the wrong way round, it would
presumably have + on black and - on red, but this would be corrected in
the adapters?

Anderson connectors are hermaphroditic (IOW, they all fit together - there
are no male & female connectors). It is impossible for them to be
connected "the wrong way round". What is possible is to wire them the
wrong way round, but providing both ends of the extension are wired the
same way round, it shouldn't matter. But if you want the cable colours
correct, I suggest you follow the standard;

http://www.powerwerx.com/assembly.asp

Thanks, that looks very useful. I'm still not sure how the hermaphrodite
thing works in practice, but I do think I'm getting more stupid with
age.

I think a 40A cable rating ought to be OK, so all I need to do is match
the cable to the connector size.

The other item I've needed to power was a tyre pump for the boat trailer
at some distance from the car. When I used an Aldi 3-way cigar socket
cable as an extension lead, I burnt my hand on the plug as I pulled it
out of the socket. The fuse had just blown and the cable was turning
nicely crisp.
--
Bill