Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default GFCFI and AFCI weirdness

wrote:
On Mon, 28 Jul 2014 09:32:54 -0400, Art Todesco
wrote:

I have both in my house (5yo)

1st Weirdness:
We have a 2 room bathroom; one has a shower, sink and toilet, plus the
GFCI. The other room has only a vanity and mirror; its outlet is daisy
chained off the GFCI in the toilet room. About 3 month ago the GCFI
tripped for no apparent reason. I reset it and it was ok. BTW, there
are no other outlets, inside or out, on this GCFI. A few days ago, I
tried to plug a small fan into the GCFI (in the toilet room) and it
didn't work. I 1st thought it was the fan. The squirrel cage seemed a
bit tight, and dirty, so I cleaned it up anyway. It worked well on the
bench. Brought it back to said GCFI and it still didn't work. BTW, the
LED on the GCFI was on. And the toothbrush charger on the remote outlet
in the vanity room was also on. So I pushed the test button on the GCFI
and it tripped ... reset it and both the outlets on the GCFI and the
remote outlet in the vanity room now worked. Weird. The only thing I
can guess is that the GCFI has 2 sets of contacts, one for the outlet
built in, and one for the daisy chain. As I said, weird.

You may just have a bad GFCI
Hi,

El Cheapo builder grade GFCI is nuisance. I replaced them all
with better ones and no more funnies. They cost little bit more.
By just looking at it, you can tell it is better made.

2nd Weirdness:
Last night we had a thunderstorm blow through and it dropped about 1/2"
of rain and lots of noise. With the largest thunder, I happened to look
at the clock .... blank! I said, "power outage!" Then I looked in the
kitchen and there were some signs of light. Actually, power was on and
all those LED on everything were still lit. The AFCI had tripped. It
reset fine. It reset just fine. Weird!

Not unusual