Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Gun drilling without a gun drill...

"Ed Huntress" fired this volley in
:

A 5/16 hole 7-in. long, drilled undersize, isn't going to provide
enough side force to make a reamer run true. The reamer would just
follow the drilled hole.

There is a way to drill a hole like this straight, without a real gun
drill. Start the hole with a regular drill bit, drill it maybe 1"
deep, and follow up with a home-made single-lip drill (a D-bit).
Unlike a real gun drill, you'll have to peck it to get the chips out,
and it's God-awful slow. But it works.

Ed, they make reamers that small with flutes 6" long. That would provide
plently of 'guide' surface. The reamer could bend some, but wouldn't if
you took it slowly.

But anyway... unless you have a coolant-ported drill and a high-pressure
coolant pump, you're going to have to peck anyway, past about six drill
diamters deep.

I didn't even consider a d-bit to be in his options; especially
considering he's talking about just re-chucking to true the piece up.

Pecking IS a pain. Some day, I'm going to make that lever drilling
attachment I've always envied, or put together a right proper carriage
drill holder.

LLoyd