Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ideal electrical systems (just idle curiosity)

On 28/07/14 08:27, Nightjar "cpb"@ insert my surname here wrote:
On 28/07/2014 08:13, Tim Watts wrote:
On 28/07/14 02:19, Nightjar "cpb"@ insert my surname here wrote:
On 28/07/2014 01:23, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 27 Jul 2014 23:46:14 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

If I move into very hypothetical areas, I could possibly see a
move to
have residential areas supplied at 50v or less, under the elfen
safety
banner.

That's going to be a big cable to my 3kW kettle and heater ;-)

Even bigger for 10 kW of storage heating... 40 odd amps at 230 V for
a few hours makes the tails warm. The 200 A required for a 50 V
supply is getting hard to handle.

For a H&S viewpoint, an ELV domestic system would save around 20-25
domestic deaths and around a third of a million serious injuries from
electrocution every year.

How many would then die from fires caused by wiring problems?

The biggest cause of electrical fires is overloading of circuits. As we
are not upgrading any existing system, but are starting from scratch and
designing everything anew, with the benefit of present knowledge, we
could build everything to accept heavier overloads and to have much
greater and localised integral overload protection. The result could
well be a reduction in deaths from electrical fires.

And these for sockets:

https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/pr...14369083997541