Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C.[_3_] Pete C.[_3_] is offline

Default Gun drilling without a gun drill...

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

"Pete C." fired this volley in news:53d5a550$0
:

so if I flip it around and center that end in the 4
jaw, with the tailstock in the exit hole and then re-turn the OD it
should center it up. The 1.75" OD ends up at 1.25" so there is plenty
left to remove.

Over only 7", it won't curve much, but you can be pretty certain the hole
isn't merely angled, but actually arc'd.

Chucking it isn't the way to get the two ends true to center. Catch the
piece between centers, and dog it.

Yes, but it will be close enough since I turned the OD at the starting
end. If I center that to a tenth the hole will be centered. I might do
it between centers, depends on my ambition level and the shop
temperature. I needs to be pretty accurate given the projectile passing
through, but it's got a fair amount of clearance so It can tolerate a
little misalignment.