Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C.[_3_] Pete C.[_3_] is offline

Default Gun drilling without a gun drill...

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

"Pete C." fired this volley in news:53d59c7f$0$12266
:

Not easy...

.3125" through 7" of 304SS on the lathe with a 12" extension drill with
about 3" of flutes. This gave me .2" of nudging it along before
unlocking the tailstock and pulling the whole thing back to clear chips
before shoving it back in, locking the tailstock and nudging another
.2". Took forever and a day in my 99F shop, but somehow I got it done.

Yeah, it's a chore... and I'll bet it's _perfectly_axial_ to the chuck the
whole way through, too! not G

Lloyd

It looks pretty good actually. It was a high quality drill, Guherig
(sp?), so it behaved pretty well. At any rate, it is coaxial with the OD
at the start point, so if I flip it around and center that end in the 4
jaw, with the tailstock in the exit hole and then re-turn the OD it
should center it up. The 1.75" OD ends up at 1.25" so there is plenty
left to remove.