Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar nightjar is offline

Default Ideal electrical systems (just idle curiosity)

On 28/07/2014 01:23, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 27 Jul 2014 23:46:14 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

If I move into very hypothetical areas, I could possibly see a

move to
have residential areas supplied at 50v or less, under the elfen

safety
banner.

That's going to be a big cable to my 3kW kettle and heater ;-)

Even bigger for 10 kW of storage heating... 40 odd amps at 230 V for
a few hours makes the tails warm. The 200 A required for a 50 V
supply is getting hard to handle.

If we were starting entirely from scratch and ELV domestic supplies were
considered desirable, would we allow such an inefficient heating system,
or would we mandate something more efficient, such as a heat pump?
Staring from a clean slate, there might be any number of things that
would be done differently from what we have evolved over time.

--
Colin Bignell