Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ideal electrical systems (just idle curiosity)

On 27/07/14 22:24, Nightjar "cpb"@ insert my surname here wrote:
If we were starting from scratch, with today's technology, I suspect
that we might go for HVDC transmission for the supergrid, converting it
to AC for more local transmission and distribution. Otherwise, the
inevitable compromises needed for differing needs would probably end up
with us having much the same system as we have now.

WE already are doing this. The cost benefit analysis for DC versus AC is
changing as inverter and rectifier costs come down.

That balances with rising costs of electricity and therefore electrical
losses in AC circuits.

DC is already preferred for long intergrid links and those spinning
offshore white elephants.

Its also the only sane way to connect grids that are not in phase - and
that's something IIRC that is an issue over continental grids like the
US which is again IIRC more than one grid at different phases.

There is a very good case for domestic DC and in fact that's happening
too with USB style sockets being handy for LV electronics.