Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cursitor Doom[_2_] Cursitor Doom[_2_] is offline

Default Ideal electrical systems (just idle curiosity)

On Sun, 27 Jul 2014 12:12:35 -0700 (PDT), David Paste
wrote:

Hello all.

The world has a few differing domestic electrical standards, 100, 120,
240 volts, 50 and 60 Hz and so on. Industrial customers have yet more.

Distribution via high voltage AC, and now DC in places.

I understand why various areas of the world have these differences - due
to historical reasons, etc.

My question is that if we were to have a brand new electrical system,
common to all areas, what would, or could, it be? Still AC? 300 volts?
Different frequency?

No real reason to ask other than idle curiosity.

Thanks in advance,

David Paste.

I doubt there's any such thing as an "ideal" system you could roll out
world-wide. There are pros and cons with all systems before you even
get to considering regional and national particularities.