Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Generator Cord Sizing 100' Run: Stay With 10-Gauge?

On Sunday, July 27, 2014 3:25:32 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sun, 27 Jul 2014 13:01:27 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"

wrote:

"trader_4" wrote in message

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think you can do 30 amps. You have two

identical generators that together put out 4KW. I may be wrong, but I'm

betting that a generator that's rated at 4KW can only do that 4KW with

a balanced load, ie either 16A @ 240V or 16A on each leg supplying 120V.

In either case it's not thg 32A that you're anticipating. To do that

it would have to be supplying 32A at 120V all to one leg and I don't think

it does that, is rated to do it etc. So, I think the voltage drop is

actually half what you think it is. And even if it wasn't I'd still be

OK with the 10g.

That is EXACTLY what paralleled inverter generators do. They parallel

synch and put out double the output of one generator into a single 120

volt line - unless they are connected "series synch" which gives you a

220/120 center tapped output which puts 15 amps max on each "leg".

I don't see why paralled generators would be paralled into just
one 120V line. Seems more logical to just parallel both legs. If you
can parallel one, why can't you parallel both legs? And regardless,
it doesn't change what I posted about his voltage drop issue, ie
the amperage on the conductors being 16A max, which is half of what he
thinks it is.