Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Generator Cord Sizing 100' Run: Stay With 10-Gauge?

On Sun, 27 Jul 2014 13:01:27 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

"trader_4" wrote in message

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think you can do 30 amps. You have two
identical generators that together put out 4KW. I may be wrong, but I'm
betting that a generator that's rated at 4KW can only do that 4KW with
a balanced load, ie either 16A @ 240V or 16A on each leg supplying 120V.
In either case it's not thg 32A that you're anticipating. To do that
it would have to be supplying 32A at 120V all to one leg and I don't think
it does that, is rated to do it etc. So, I think the voltage drop is
actually half what you think it is. And even if it wasn't I'd still be
OK with the 10g.

That is EXACTLY what paralleled inverter generators do. They parallel
synch and put out double the output of one generator into a single 120
volt line - unless they are connected "series synch" which gives you a
220/120 center tapped output which puts 15 amps max on each "leg".

Another note, since it's likely to come up. You brought up running these
two generators in parallel before and they can be used that way because
they are inverter type and specifically designed to allow it. You
couldn't
do it with typical generators, so thought I'd point that out before you
get 6 other replies telling you that you can't hook them up that way.

I am also thinking that about 16 amps is the max that can be delivered by
the generators if they are paralled for 4 kw total.

For generators in parallel, yes there are some inverter types that can be
paralleled with out any problem.

I have two generators rated at 5 kw each that just have the generators and
not inverters.. I have often wondered if they could be paralled for more
power. I know how to place them in parallel safely but wonder if they will
stay synced up for a long period of time.

They won't synch - period.
Where I worked we did that all the time with motor/generator sets. As it
cost lots of money to shut down some equipment, we used motor/genertor sets
to vary the speed of some motors. We had a bank of about 20 sets, and one
spare set. We would run both in parallel for a short time and then switch
one off.

These "motor geerator sets" were "ward leonard" drives - AC motor
running DC generator to run variable speed DC motors bu varying the
field current of the DC generator. Parallelling DC generators is not a
serious problem Parralleling AC generators is a lot of fun, unless one
of them is a synchronous generator (like an overdriven induction
motor)