Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Ideal electrical systems (just idle curiosity)

On 27/07/2014 20:12, David Paste wrote:
Hello all.

The world has a few differing domestic electrical standards, 100, 120,
240 volts, 50 and 60 Hz and so on. Industrial customers have yet more.

Distribution via high voltage AC, and now DC in places.

I understand why various areas of the world have these differences - due
to historical reasons, etc.

My question is that if we were to have a brand new electrical system,
common to all areas, what would, or could, it be? Still AC? 300 volts?
Different frequency?

AC for national and local distribution certainly. 200 - 250V seems about
right, with plugs and socketry good for something in the region of 15A
gives capability of adequate appliance sizes while not requiring huge
cable sizes.

Not sure I have strong feelings about frequency. Higher gives greater
transformer efficiencies, but less ideal speeds for sych motors.

--
Cheers,

John.