Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Generator Cord Sizing 100' Run: Stay With 10-Gauge?

On Sunday, July 27, 2014 2:21:41 PM UTC-4, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per trader_4:

do it with typical generators, so thought I'd point that out before you

get 6 other replies telling you that you can't hook them up that way.

Per Ralph Mowery:

I am also thinking that about 16 amps is the max that can be delivered by

the generators if they are paralled for 4 kw total.

I am too clueless to explain how or why, but these things are

specifically engineered to work together and deliver 4000 watts peak and

3200 continuous.

--

Pete Cresswell

I was using your full 4KW number in the numbers in my reply, treating it
just like one 4KW generator. By my analysis a 4KW generator can only
supply 16 amps on any conductor. If you have only 240V loads, it delivers
16 amps. If you have balanced 120V loads it delivers a max of 16 amps,
ie 120V @ 16 amps and 120V @ 16 amps.
And if you try to do an unbalanced 120V greater than 16 amps, eg put
30 amps on just one 120V leg, I don't
think it can deliver it. Essentially you're only using part of the
generator winding at that point.