Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Any easy way to delaminate a big transformer

On Sun, 27 Jul 2014 11:37:11 -0500, Ignoramus12347
wrote:

OK, I spent some time thinking about these transformers. One has two
windings and another, has three. I do not think that it is easy to cut
them with a saw. (though I can be wrong).

A 12" long bimetal saw cutting copper wires? Piece of cake.

Here's what I can try to do.

1. Break the varnish with a bobcat-mounted hydraulic hammer
2. Pull the laminations apart with the double acting press

Ten to one you'll spend more time and effort doing it that way, Ig.
Resting the Bobcat's hammer on the xfmr to hold it down while you pry
the wire out might be a good method, though.

3. One I have the windings out I will be happy.

ack Piles of clean copper and clean iron to recycle.

--
Aim for success, not perfection. Never give up your right
to be wrong, because then you will lose the ability to