Posted to alt.home.repair
Terri Sufka Terri Sufka is offline

Default Cleaning Leaves out of Mulch Beds

replying to aspasia, Terri Sufka wrote:
aspasia wrote:

Confused. Aren't leaves one of the components of much?
Are you talking about the compost heap/container where you make the
mulch, or about an area where you have spread finished mulch?

Leaves are not mulch. Depending on they type of tree, leaves can be
composted for use in gardens next year as fertilizer. Also, if leaves are
shredded onto lawns they are great feed for the worms and such living
below the grass to decompose and it doesn't take too much time for that
(best bet).

Mulch is usually shredded bits of tree bark, or shredded twigs, and made
up of different types of trees. Mulch is used decoratively to landscape
lawns, usually around trees, plants, light posts, shrubs, and even patios
(like at my rental property). So Mulch is usually made of harder things
than leaves, which are soft. Mulch is made of wood chips, tree bark, and
whatnot that has better staying power and is heavier than grass clippings,
leaves, or any compostable item. Mulch usually isn't blown away unless
winds are very strong. Also a tarp is lined over soil to keep the mulch
in place and keep weeds from sprouting up in the mulch. Tarp is placed
under the mulch and is made of:

Poly yard tarps are made of heavy duty industrial polyethylene. Poly yard
tarp is light weight and versatile. Poly yard tarp fabric has built-in UV
protection for both sides for maximum weatherproofing. Designed for
maximum strength and durability. (I don't advise using this kind of tarp
because polyethylene and any polyvinyl treated plastics contain a heavy
amount of chemicals that cause cancer in humans[like the shower curtains,
plastic raincoats, plastic polyvinyl boots, and anything with polyvinyl
and polyethylene in it). (per the blogger here I know that polyethylene
and polyvinyl are some of the worst cancer-causing chemicals in products
to humans. I cannot speak about what it does to organisms in the ground
under the mulch, nor less the birds and other animals who crawl over them
or pause to drink by them every day).

Heavy duty vinyl yard tarps are made of heavy duty 10 oz vinyl coated
polyester, which are strong and tear resistant. Heavy duty yard tarps are
designed for longer service life and outstanding performance.