Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Theater chairs

On Sat, 26 Jul 2014 16:57:51 -0400, "dadiOH"
wrote:

"SteveB" wrote in message

I bought five connected fold down theater chairs. Looks like 50's.
They are made of laminated wood, similar to plywood, and are curved.
The type like they used to make curved barstools and chairs and desks
out of. They are in decent shape, but are separating a little here and
there. What would I use to get them back to original. I would imagine
glue inserted in the cracks and held together with a clamp of wood
pieces band saw cut to fit the contour. Which type of glue:

Yellow giue works, so does epoxy. I'd use yellow, simpler.

No need (probably) to make clamping cauls, a bunch of spring clamps should
work fine. If you don't have a bunch they are easy to make by cutting
3/4"-1" rings off a piece of 2" PVC pipe, then cut a slot actoss each ring
do you can pull them apart. The diameter of the PVC pipe used depends upon
the thickness of what you want to clamp.

And there is black paint, covering up a nice pine color underneath. It
looks like latex, as it is coming off in flat flakes about an inch
square. What would be the best way of getting off the wood without
introducing much water, or something that may cause it to delaminate or
cause further damage. Thanks.

Sand paper springs to mind

I kinda doubt that it is latex if from the 50s...they still had real paint
then. Might be lacquer too in which case, lacquer thinner would save much
sanding.

But the paint may not have been put on in the '50s