Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default OT Which direction is your ceiling fan SUPPOSED to run?

On Friday, July 25, 2014 12:57:34 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 00:34:43 -0400, rickman wrote:

On 7/24/2014 11:10 PM, wrote:

I don't have the numbers, but a10 sq ft Low E2 window in direct sun

will sure add more than35 watts of heat to a room!!!

I just did some quick checking

With 900-1050 watts per square meter peak solar intensity and an SHGC

ranging from 0.42 to 0.67, a aquare meter window in direct sun can

provide 450 -703 watts of heat to a room. That's assuming Low E argon

filled double glazed window

I've got a couple of southern facing skylights that I want to add some

sort of protection to. I'm not sure what it will be or how I will do

it, especially since they are 11 feet off the floor. I guess blinds

would be the minimal effort approach, especially if I let someone else

do it, lol. I'm thinking a piece of styrofoam covered with fabric to

make it look nice and seal around the edges. Once side would have a

reflective layer, possibly the reflective bubble wrap stuff. That would

reflect the heat back out and likely work as well when it is cold out,

not emitting as much heat.

With the reflective layer on one side it needs to fold away from you,

into the window well which is not deep enough for it. Folding into the

room means you see the reflector. Also, folding into the well means it

won't seal snug around the edges. Not sure what to do about that.

Trying to make it slide away from the window sounds hard to do. I am

thinking of a hinge with a draw cord. To slide sideways I could use

arms at each corner and swing it away to another spot on the ceiling or

even just let it hang to the side, it won't be in anyone's way up there,

lol. .

Blocking off the skylight could damage the skylight by overheating

it.

It's no different than putting a shade or blinds on any other window.

Just replace whatever you have with a velux and the insulation

situation is solved.

Except of course for the huge cost of the new skylights and installation
and the fact that heat will still come in. I have Velux and heat comes
in.

Put an external shutter on to control heat if you

are getting too much heat gain. A shade that blocks direct sun in the

heat of a summer day, but allows lowere evening or winter sun to

provide heat (and light)

Yes, that should be real practical on the roof. I've seen a lot of
skylights, never one with a shade on the roof.

Or he can just put up a shade inside. Velux even makes the controls
to electrically operate them, so I guess they don't think it's such a
bad idea.